Happy Diwali! The Indian Festival of Lights lasts for five days. The traditional origins of the holiday vary among regions of India. Basically, it is a celebration of the triumph of light over darkness, good over evil. Today, Nov. 14th, is the third and most important day, dedicated to Lakshmi Pujan, goddess of wealth. To do this day properly, you should clean your house, and paint the entrance floor with intricate designs in chalk, rice, or sand to bring good luck. Decorate with flowers and candles or small lamps. Also, bathe in the water of the Ganges River if possible. People eat elaborate sweets and even buy “crackers” (the noisemakers that are a traditional part of British Christmas). There are also fireworks.
Detailed information on the regional traditions and what each of the five days means is on the website of indiatvnews.com. I see elements of Winter Solstice, New Year’s Eve, Candlemas, Easter, and other special days in Diwali. Well, I am willing to do the sweets part, but I fear that if the goddess Lakshmi Pujan expects a clean house when she comes to call, I can look forward to another year of poverty. :-(
No comments:
Post a Comment