Friday the 13th! Our second one this year. (There’s only be one next year,, but—wait for it—there’ll be three in 2026.) I hope nothing bad happened to you. It is an unlucky Friday the 13th for Sacramento. Evidently, we have not been as healthy as we could have, and our rising number of CoVid cases has pushed us into Tier 1 – Purple, where we’ll be on restriction with the other bad kids. I’m honestly surprised. In the central area where I live, everyone appears to wear a mask and stay away from strangers; there are no concerts or other activities to draw a crowd. But it’s really Sacramento County that is the culprit, I think. I am told that in parts of the county people have been taking a loose approach to safety.
Anyhow, starting at noon today, we are on restriction and will remain so for three weeks. This means that bowling alleys, gyms, museums, and restaurants may remain open for outdoor-only activities and bars can’t stay open unless they are serving sit-down meals outside. Malls, hair salons, libraries, and retail stores can allow people inside, up to 25% of capacity.
From what I have seen, downtown restaurants have only been serving outside or take-out, anyhow. Restaurants with parking lots have used some of that space for tables set six feet apart. Others have covered the sidewalk or even the bike lane with tables. Two blocks near me that have several eating places (at 20th & J and 18th & Capitol) have been closed to traffic for months.
Almost all the library branches had opened a week ago, but the three that are near me (Central, McClatchy, McKinley) are not opening yet. Why are libraries allowed to open when museums are not? I’d just heard about a great exhibit at the California Auto Museum, and was figuring out how to get there (three miles is a bit farther than I normally bike, and there are no buses).
A week ago, I found out that that Tower Theater is showing rerun films on the weekends. I bought a ticket online and last Saturday I went to see a 12:15 showing of Orson Welles’s famous 1959 film, Touch of Evil. The theater (built in 1938—you can read about it on Wikipedia) is divided into one large room and two small ones. This film was in the large room….and I had it all to myself. Imagine paying six dollars for a private screening of a classic film! So I intended to post on Next Door and urge people to attend—but now the theater is closed for three more weeks, alas.
No comments:
Post a Comment