Monday, November 13, 2023

Notes on the Republican presidential candidates debate November 2023

 

Notes on the Republican candidates debate November 8, 2023.

This debate was limited to the top five candidates.  It was held in Miami and 1500 people attended.  There was a three-person panel asking the questions (and trying to shush the candidates who went over their time).

Disclaimer:  These notes do not purport to be thorough.  First of all, I was sometimes busy cooking or eating!  Secondly, my handwriting is sometimes illegible.  Thirdly, the professional pundits are better at identifying and discussing the most important points.  Fourthly, the debate format—very limited time to speak—caused the participants to talk very fast, so I couldn’t keep up.   Sometimes I didn’t write down the question that was asked, so the comments may sound disjointed.

            Themes that were repeatedly emphasized by the candidates during the two hours were 1) the threat of China, and 2) the threat of migrants coming over the Southern border.   The evil of China meant a lot of denouncing of TikTok.  Ironically enough, these rants were followed by ads for TikTok during the commercial breaks!

 Ron DeSantis, Nikki Haley, Tim Scott, Vivek Ramaswamy, Chris Christie

  (NOTE:  As I am typing this, I hear that Tim Scott has dropped out.)

 --

CC – We must stand with all who are for democracy.  We promised Ukraine 31 years ago that we would support it. 

 RD – I’ll send troops to the Southern border.  I’ll shut it down and deport everyone who came from the Middle East.  We need the Europeans to bring the Ukraine war to an end. 

 (Q about Navy; does it have enough ships?)

 NH – American needs to modernize our military and make sure it has the equipment it needs.

            I’ve revealed a plan to increase the Navy to 600 ships in twenty years.

 VR –  Yet our defense industry base depends on China for parts!  No more China buying land here.

            (Note:  Some here criticize NH for being friendly to China when she was U.N. ambassador.)

 CC – Nuclear subs are the biggest deterrent to China; but don’t let China know how many we have….CC – TikTok is spyware and is polluting the minds of young people.  China is using it to divide us.

 RD – (also uses the phrase “pollutes the minds”)

 NH – “Ron, you said last week that Florida is ideal for Chinese business! Vivek, you campaigned on TikTok!”

 VR – I will ban the transfer of data to China.

            (Note:  He talks over NH, won’t hush when his time is up and let her speak)

NH – Justifies her interactions with China while at the U.N.—she got China to put sanctions on North Korea.

 TS  - “Ban TikTok, period!”  Don’t let China steal our I.P.!

 (Question re: Venezuela – our dependence on their oil)

 RD – “I will rip up the Green New Deal on Day One!  Your gas prices will go down…”

 NH – I watched Venezuelan families crossing the border from Venezuela, seeking freedom. …But Ron has opposed fracking!  “You were a liberal on the environment.”

 TS – We can reduce the cost of food and electricity with my plan for new jobs.  We can create surplus energy and export it.

 (about people’s economic challenges)

 RD – “I’ll take all the Bidenomics and rip it up.”   I’ll rein in the Federal Reserve.

 VR – I’ll increase the supply of energy.  “Drill, frack, burn coal, use nuclear energy!”

Increase the housing supply by eliminating land use restrictions. “Bidenomics is a lie.” 

“I’m 38 years old, the youngest Republican candidate ever.”

 CC – Energy costs drive all other prices.  “We must supply Israel with everything it needs.”

 NH – Eliminate the federal gas and diesel tax.  Go after CoVid financial fraud….

            “We need to be energy dominant.”

 (Question about changes to social security)

 CC -  Yes, we must raise the retirement age.   The wealthy should not be collecting social security.  We all pay for some benefits we never use (for example, food stamps).  Social security was intended to be a safety net.

 VR – Use zero-based budgeting as I do in business.  Shut down redundant government agencies.

 TS -  (He offers many financial statistics)  His “made in America” plan will benefit the economy.

            Regarding raising the age of retirement, he says that will be hard on farmers.

 RD – The cost-of-living figure does not match inflation for seniors.

 (Question about Fentanyl)

 TS – I will close the southern border and surveil it.  70,000 have died from Fentanyl in the last twelve months.

 CC – Lower the demand by treating people.  Addiction is a disease.

 RD – I will send the military to the border.  I will build the border wall.  Remittances to Mexico will pay for it.  As for smugglers of Fentanyl, “Shoot ‘em stone-cold dead!”

 NH – Go to the source:  end all trade with China; send special ops to take out the cartels; defund sanctuary cities; focus on mental health centers.

 VR – It’s not an “overdose”—it poisoning!  Use our military to seal the “Swiss cheese tunnels.”

 (Question on abortion)

 RD – Democrats refuse to identify a point of protection (for fetus).

 NH – It’s a personal issue for each person.  States vote different ways.  As for a federal law, the Senate hasn’t had 60 votes in a hundred years.  Can we find consensus on late term abortions?  We should focus on contraception.  “Stop the judgement.”

 TS – I’m one hundred percent opposed.  I wouldn’t allow California, New York, Illinois, etc. to have no limit.  There should be a 15-week federal limit.  “Abortion up until the day of birth is immoral…We should pro-life after the child is born” also. 

 NH – I’ll sign anything if we can get 60 Senate votes.

 VR -  “We should talk about sexual responsibility for men.”

 CC – Conservatives lawyers have argues for fify years; now you want a federal ban.  Each state should decide.  It will vary.

 (Final words)

 TS -   Proclaims “Christian values.”

 CC – “I’m tired of division and anger.  We must stand up for our friends and allies.  Our differences are our strengths.  Open your heart to every American.”

 VR – War is between those of us who love our country and those who hate it.  “I’ll shut down the Deep State.”  “Biden is the puppet of the managerial class.”

 NH – “The world is on fire…. We can’t win the fight with politics from the 20th century.”

 RD – “I’m going to lead this country’s revival.”

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Voting in California 2024

  Ballots have been mailed to every California voter, and we already received the state and county voter information guides.   These are ver...