Sunday, September 20, 2020

T-Shirt Weather

 Written last Thursday:     At last, we are out of the heat waves and into our lovely weather.  It’s  T-shirt weather, when you can be comfortable in T-shirt (and pants) indoors or out.  No sweating!  No sweater!  Just lovely sunshine and a bit of a breeze.  We don’t get enough of this weather here in Sacramento.  The summers can be blisteringly hot.  The winters are quite mild, but still usually require turning on the heater inside, and maybe wearing mittens outside. 

 This is a day to open all the windows and breathe deeply.  Well, just until the neighbor starts doing whatever repair or construction task he’s been up to lately.  There’s a tall fence around my apartment building, so I can’t see much of the back yard of the house that is catty-corner from me.  If I walk around the corner, and stare at the house from the front, I still can’t see anything.  What on earth is he doing?  Sometimes it sounds like a herd of dying elephants.  Sometimes it is a dentist’s drill, magnified a hundred times.  Fortunately, the windows of my building are sound—I mean, sturdy and somewhat soundproof.  If I shut the windows (they are all on the same side as the neighboring house), then the noise is muffled to the level of someone moving furniture around.  But this morning….ah, blessed relief.  Can he have finished the task?  Or is he off at Home Depot buying more equipment for his eardrum-shattering scheme?  Update:  Well, all was quiet on the weekend.  I’ll cross my fingers for tomorrow.

P.S.  I looked up "catty-corner," as I didn't know if it counted as a real word.  My dictionary says it means diagonal and is a variant of cater-corner.   Cater is an old word for "four." 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Voting in California 2024

  Ballots have been mailed to every California voter, and we already received the state and county voter information guides.   These are ver...