Wednesday, September 9, 2020

Horses for Courses

 

I’m a desultory horse racing fan at best: specifically, I watch the Triple Crown, period.  And that’s only if I remember.  And all the time I am watching, I cross my fingers that no horse suffers a terrible injury—I have seen that happen a couple of times.  Sometimes I vow never to watch another race, but then I succumb: the Kentucky derby is always such fun, with the crowds, the fancy hats on the ladies, the historical notes and the hosts (including, in recent years, fun and fashion commentary by figure skating champions Tara Lipinsky and Johnny Weir). 

 This year, horse racing, like other sports, has been…eccentric.  The Derby was postponed four months, and with the CoVid pandemic still raging, it and other horse races had to be done with few spectators.  The trainers, and some owners, were there, and a few reporters, and that was about it.  Normally, I check out the line-up on Friday and choose my favorite steed according to his name.  I did no pre-study this year, but I turned on the TV early and watched a couple of the races that precede the Derby.  One of these was for fillies.  The names included Belle Laura, Juliet Foxtrot, La Signare, Newspaper of Record, and—how about this?—She’s On The Warpath.  Alas, the latter horse was scratched—maybe she’ll be on the warpath another time.

 This turned out to be one of the most dramatic races I have seen.  A horse called Beau Recall, a six-year-old, brown with a small white blaze, was way down on the favorites list, I mean with high odds against her, but she broke from the side and whipped past the favorite to win. 

 Beau Recall’s jockey was Manny Franco, who would be on favorite ‘Tis the Law in the Derby later in the afternoon.  Most of the time, jockeys don’t even meet their horse until the race (at least, so I have read), but Franco has been with ‘Tis the Law from the beginning.  The horse is said to be relaxed and affectionate. 

 When the Derby horses came out, I couldn’t decide who to root for.  If Derby regular Mike Smith won on Honor A.P., he’d be the oldest jockey to win the Derby.  I’ve always liked Mike Smith.  He actually had an acting role in the movie “Seabiscuit” and did quite well.

 Another name I recognized was John Velasquez, aboard Authentic.  I decided to root for Sole Volante, because it’s an Italian name and I’m studying Italian.  I truly do not understand how betting works on horse races.  Who bets for the horses with long odds, and why, and how much?  Do veteran bettors spread their money around, just in case one of the long shots wins?  Or are those who bet on the long shots doing so because they think they have some special information?  Or do they, like me, choose by the name—haha? 

 Anyhow, even though ‘Tiz the Law was the favorite, Authentic got past him to win.  It was the third Derby win for John Velasquez, in thirty years of races.  A small thing I noticed, was that as they were walking, cooling off and he was speaking to the reporter, Velasquez patted the horse, as if in approval and appreciation--very nice.  Slow-motion replay showed how gracefully Authentic ran.  However, upon reaching the Winners’ Circle, Authentic got spooked and jumped around, knocking over his trainer Bob Baffert.  The famous trainer was not hurt.  He dusted off his bright blue suit with the gold tie, and enjoyed winning the Derby for the sixth time.

  ‘Tiz the Law came in second.  I was happy that jockey Manny Franco had already won a race that day—and in spectacular fashion.  Mr. Big News was third and Honor A. P.  (Mike Smith’s horse) was fourth.

Now if you’d bet a dollar on Mr. Big News, you’d win $16.80, but if you’d bet a dollar on ‘Tiz the News, you’d only get about $3.40, as he was the favorite and did not win.  What if you’d bet on Honor A.P.?  Nada.  Same for my choice, Sole Volante, as “Flying Sun” didn’t fly fast enough to matter, alas.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Voting in California 2024

  Ballots have been mailed to every California voter, and we already received the state and county voter information guides.   These are ver...