Friday, August 28, 2020

Birthday

 

    What would it be like to grow up in a society that did not mark birthdays?  Such cultures have existed, but it is hard to imagine, isn’t it? 

-  On the one hand, you wouldn’t be stumbling or revising when you were asked your age, the way you do when writing the new year down.  On the other hand, there’d be no looking forward to the day when you could legally drive or drink or vote.

-  On the one hand, there’d be no guilt when you forgot someone’s birthday, and no sulking when someone forgot yours.  On the other hand….there'd be no surprise starry birthday greeting on Bing.com, complete with a wish! 

- On the one hand, there’d be no pondering whether you looked your age or felt your age or how many years you have remaining.  On the other hand…no free waffle at the Waffle House on your birthday, or any of the other dozens of places that offer birthday rewards.  (This website lists dozens:  https://wellkeptwallet.com/birthday-freebies/)

         Not that I garnered any of the listed rewards on my birthday (today).  I totally forgot until I sat down to write this, and it’s evening now.  Next year, I promise, I will make a plan, and run around town taking advantage of coffees, waffles, ice cream, etc.  (Maybe someplace offers free Tums for afterward.)

 “I absolutely refuse to reveal my age—what am I, a car?”   Cyndi Lauper

 

1 comment:

Voting in California 2024

  Ballots have been mailed to every California voter, and we already received the state and county voter information guides.   These are ver...